Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:18 pm
Davide ang gusto ng Cebu
Davide leads in 2 local surveys
By Jessica Ann R. Pareja/JMO (The Freeman) Updated May 03, 2010 12:00 AM
CEBU, Philippines - Gubernatorial aspirant Hilario Davide III led in two surveys conducted separately last month by a private university and a group commissioned by volunteers of the Cebu Aquino-Roxas movement.
The survey commissioned by the Aquino-Roxas volunteers and conducted among 3,500 respondents showed 52 percent choosing Davide over reelectionist Governor Gwendolyn Garcia who got 40 percent. The survey was conducted in the first two weeks of April across the province.
Among the presidentiables, Senator Benigno Aquino III took the lead with 58 percent followed by administration bet Gilberto Teodoro 15 percent and Nacionalista Party candidate Manuel Villar with 14 percent.
Liberal Party’s Manuel Roxas also took the lead among the vice presidential candidates with 66 percent rating followed by NP’s Loren Legarda with 15 percent and Jejomar Binay with six percent.
Meanwhile, in the survey conducted by the private university, Davide garnered 51.67 percent preferential votes, higher by 12 percent than Garcia’s 39.50 percent. The survey was conducted on the third week of April among 3,012 respondents from the province’s six districts.
Atty. Joselito Ramon Castillo, legal spokesman of Davide, said the positive trend in Davide’s candidacy may be attributed to the unity of the entire Davide family in the campaign.
“Contributing to the positive trend is the all-out support of the entire Davide family led by father Chief Justice Hilario Davide Jr. signifying that the province wants a leader that has a strong united family to back him up, morally and spiritually,” Castillo said in a press statement.
He said that aside from Davide’s family and relatives, many volunteer groups are also assisting Davide in the campaign, especially urban poor groups that are reportedly dissatisfied with Garcia’s leadership.
Castillo said the continuing awareness campaign have also allowed the people to be more concerned over the issues against Garcia, including the Balili lot fiasco and the alleged overpriced Cebu International Convention Center.
For her part, Garcia belittled the result of the surveys, saying these are merely black propaganda to confuse the voters.
Garcia said she is not affected by the surveys and will just continue campaigning and presenting her plans and programs, including her achievements during her two terms as governor. - THE FREEMAN